These resources are either completely free or have a significantly useful free section. None of the listed sites have paid or requested to be listed here.
General Western music theory
- Ableton: Learning music
- A simple introduction to music theory that focuses on electronic music and basic differences between genres. Includes interactive tutorials.
- An interactive site that describes how sound works, including some music theory
- Focuses on traditional concepts of music theory with illustrated lessons, interactive exercises, and tools to help you analyze music
- The classic version of the website is for older browsers that have trouble with the new site
- Music Tech Teacher
- Contains lessons and quizzes by Karen Garrett, a teacher of music technology and band at Green Acres Middle School in Birmingham, Alabama (U.S.A.). Interactive content requires Flash.
- Provides interactive, illustrated, and animated music theory and ear training tutorials. Also has a collection of articles analyzing music.
- One Minute Music Lesson
- A series of short video tutorials on music theory.
- Music Theory for Musicians and Normal People
- A set of one-page handouts or posters, each discussing a single concept in music theory in comic book style.
- Music Theory for Songwriters
- Focuses on teaching musical concepts in the context of how chord progressions fit together.
Ear training resources
- Ear Beater (Web version requires Flash; iPad app available)